The National Health Authority of India launched the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission. The government aims to improve the digital health infrastructure of the country through this Digital Mission. The digital health infrastructure refers to the application of technology in the healthcare and medicine field to enhance the transparency of the digital system.
Several departments benefit from digitalisation, like health, finance, education, and commerce, by exposing their effectiveness in the field of medicine. The role of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission is to strengthen the digital health infrastructure and support all Indian citizens. The mission also provides a digital health card to all the country members who can avail of the card’s benefits.
What is the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission?
The Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission is a government-backed plan that allows citizens to keep track of their health records using a digital health id card. Although the scheme is available to every citizen of India, participation in this scheme is voluntary. If you link the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health card to your account, you can keep track of all health-related data like medical tests, your past diseases, checkups of the conditions and others.
The other purpose of the Digital Mission is to enable patients and doctors to access medical data quickly and easily. The patient can book appointments with general practitioners or specialists, manage medical bill payments, and keep track of health records. The Digital Mission has also integrated Artificial Intelligence to make sure that the data is accurate and secure. The AI-enabled system will also be used to detect any medical anomalies in the patient’s health records.
The technology principles in the making of the digital health card
Technology has played an essential role in implementing the Digital Health card and making things simpler for the citizens. Let us check out the technology principles of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Card.
- The Indian Enterprise Architectural Framework will be used for preparing the digital health card.
- All the building blocks and the design standards of the Ayushman Bharat Digital health card will conform to the open standards.
- A federated architecture will be used for all the aspects of making the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Card. Only the digital card’s core and identified building blocks will be maintained and controlled centrally. All the other aspects of the abdm card will be controlled using a federated structure.
- There will be an open API-based ecosystem for the digital health card. All the building blocks of the card will be operated using an open API system, and the data will be shared according to the standards of the NDHB.
- Privacy and security will be designed separately for the development and design of the APIs.
- A minimalistic approach will be taken to design the components of the health cards, which include the building blocks, the registries of the card, and the artefacts of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Mission card.
- All the master databases and the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health card registries will be developed as a single source of truth. They are backed by strong data governance and different aspects. Every field will undergo a rigid validation process before preparing the Digital Health Card.
The ABDM ecosystem includes multiple stakeholders.
A stacking approach is followed for the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Mission Card to deliver effective, seamless, comprehensive healthcare services across ecosystems. It integrates multiple applications, web-based portals and other technologies to provide access to healthcare services to individuals. It also helps to manage and process the data used by the scheme.
The ABDM ecosystem includes stakeholders such as the Central Government, State Governments, healthcare providers, insurance companies, and others. The government will act as an enabler and facilitator to ensure the smooth functioning of the system. The state governments will be responsible for the implementation of the mission. Healthcare providers will be responsible for providing healthcare services to patients and managing their health records. The insurance companies will manage the medical bills of the patients.
The service providers are instrumental in unlocking the full potential of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
The Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission aims to create an environment for healthcare service delivery. This requires developing and implementing various digital codes and platforms like Electronic Health Records, digital payment systems and telemedicine. The service providers can collaborate with the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission for its support. Therefore, it also offers various services to support the digital platform’s maintenance, implementation and development.
The offerings of the service provider could include the following.
- Implementing and developing a digital platform, including the unified health interface and the health building blocks.
- Providing technical maintenance and support to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the interface.
- Providing support and training to healthcare providers.
- Offering reporting services and data analytics to identify the areas of improvement.
- Providing data protection services and cybersecurity to protect the patient’s data.
- Integrating multiple services and systems like hospitals, insurance providers and diagnostic centres into the digital health card.
Technology is opening the doors for the healthcare system and providing improved accessibility for quality and affordable healthcare services. Due to the development of this digital health card, India is way ahead in the health field. It makes healthcare more efficient, accessible and inclusive. Therefore, the citizens of India should take advantage of this card’s benefits. If you are wondering What is abdm read this article to get a brief insight into the details of the Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Mission Card. It is a compelling option for the growth and improvement of India’s healthcare field.